Thursday, September 23, 2010

There Are Plenty of Mudfish In The Sea!!

(I wrote this note for Facebook and it has become my shining jewel!  All my friends loved it so I thought it would be a great addition for the week!)


Pic of the Mudfish!

Ever heard that old saying, “There are plenty of fish in the sea.” Of course you have! (Silly me for even asking!) Well, do I have a story to tell you!

It all dates back to when I was ten years old and I went fishing with my uncle for the first time. For story sake, it is important to know that my uncle is a professional bass fisherman, so he knows his stuff. As he was teaching me the ins and outs, I started to get comfortable and caught a few small fish. This was to be expected and they were my practice catches as my uncle explained. Then the unthinkable happened… My line jerked to the point where I almost lost my reel. I held on for dear life and started to reel this HUGE catch in. I would pull a little, the fish would pull a lot. Eventually the struggle got to be too much and my uncle helped me pull it in the boat. The whole process took about 30 minutes. When the fish surfaced, it was the biggest fish I had ever seen. It glistened in the sunlight and flopped around the boat. My uncle helped me hold it up so we could get a picture with it. I was so proud! Then he threw it back in the water! Of course, I was taken aback. We were fishing for dinner so I thought I had sealed the deal and we could get out of the hot Augusta heat. My uncle explained that I caught a mudfish (the lowest of the low; it spends it’s life BELOW the mud barely breathing) and we wouldn’t be able to eat it.

So I got to thinking…

How many of us have struggled to catch a man because he looked good, flopped around in our heart, glistened in the sunlight, seemingly satisfied our appetites with his big…ego ;-), created the illusion of grandeur when in reality he was simply a mudfish lurking in the depths of the ocean and satisfied with never surfacing. You know the types:

-No transportation; or a well crafted story about his last car being in a terrible accident, but somehow he managed to pull himself from the burning vehicle to safety! Now he’s working on buying this fixer-upper from his boy’s cousin’s brother in law!
-Living with his parents; because times are hard and it’s a recession
-Kids everywhere; Hey Wayne does it, what’s the problem?!
-No job; or the OTHER 9-5, Everyday I’m hustling (or in the studio laying down this track)!
-No initiative; Him: “How about dinner and a movie?” Me: “How about your brain locating the exit and thinking outside the box?!”
-No home-training; “Yo, you independent! Can’t you open your own door?”
-Willing to have unprotected sex and refuses to get tested; “Let me just put the head in/ I need to FEEL you/ I know I’m clean (How you know?! Did you wave a magic wand over it?!)/ I can’t get nobody pregnant/ You can trust me/ and my personal favorite…They don’t fit me.” (*Eyes rolling*)!
-Bad hygiene; This one speaks for itself!

Back to the fishing thing, ladies I think it’s imperative that we take heed to the waters we fish in and how deep we are willing to go. Most of us are hungry for the same thing and we continue to go into murky and dangerous waters lowering our reels in search of the biggest, the best, and the most photogenic. Kinda contradictory if you ask E! The lower the standards, the lower the quality. If you catch a couple of practice fish, that’s good. Life is about discovery, chances, and mistakes. Feel empowered to throw these fish back if they don’t meet your standards. If you catch a mudfish by mistake, take a pic and throw it back with a quickness! A struggle doesn’t always equal success. If you are fighting and straining and having other people assist you in trapping a catch, rethink your approach. Even the Bible promotes a man seeking out a woman. So this is what I leave you with… Instead of breaking a sweat pulling in an inedible piece of crap, search for the waters where the fish jump in YOUR boat and you can pick and choose what you wish to mount on the wall of fame!

I love you all and I pray that each of you is blessed with what you deserve and know the difference between a mudfish and a prime catch! ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment