Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Delicate Art of Separating Business From Pleasure

Don't let business or pleasure tip your scale!
Keep a balance and see your goals
come true!
Doesn’t it always seem that when you suit up to conduct business, a welcome distraction comes along?! I know for me that is ALWAYS the case! Aside from my day job, I am in the process of starting a business and I am waist deep in the trenches building a solid foundation. In following my dream, I am often pulled in a lot of directions. Whether an invitation from a friend for dinner and drinks, a swanky date with a promising prospect, a shindig with the fam, or a much needed vacation, pleasure always sneaks its way in! It would be nonsensical to turn everything down with “fun” attached to it, but I have to be realistic.

Man has always struggled with the daunting task of doing what NEEDS to be done versus what he WANTS to do. Whether working a job or completing an imperative task, taking care of business gets a lot of negative press! Even the thought of business brings a lot of cold and boring thoughts to mind. The pressure to get things done, the rigidity of an office or work environment, the confinement of rules,  coping with co-workers, unruly customers/clients and the overwhelming feeling that you would rather be anywhere else in the world! Then there is pleasure…Ahh, good old pleasure! The joy of being uninhibited, the glee in doing what you want, the passion that consumes you, the elation of freedom and the sheer bliss you inherit from releasing what binds you! Both business and pleasure are necessary in our lives. We have to support ourselves just as well as we need to reward ourselves. However, we have to find a healthy balance between the two. Just like oil and vinegar, you can try to blend your business and pleasure and they will inevitably separate. So how exactly do you keep both in their place without sacrificing all the things you need?


1) Don’t Be Afraid to Use the Word No!

Pleasure is often short-lived.
Put in the work now!
I’m an avid believer that the work you put in now can translate into more fun later. Saying “no” may be the first step. That old fable about the ant and the grasshopper comes to mind with this topic. If you don’t remember it or have never heard it, the ant spent all summer putting in work. He traveled back and forth stocking food and preparing for winter. The grasshopper attempted to stop him many times to play music and have fun. The ant didn’t give in and warned the grasshopper that he should consider stocking some food for the winter also. The grasshopper didn’t see the point. He continued to play and enjoy the beauty of summer. Once winter came, the ant was comfortable, warm and had all the food he needed while the grasshopper was out in the cold with nothing but some memories and an empty stomach. Not to mention, begging the ant for a place to stay and a morsel of food!

So my moral for this story is:
Stand your ground and get it done! Business may not always be fun, but the rewards last a lot longer than pleasure!

2) Surround Yourself With People Who Support Your Goals!

The people who love you and care about your success will not pressure you to walk away from the work that will get you there. In my last relationship, my ex was a great motivator. He would give me suggestions to get things moving, the positive energy I needed to keep going, and the time I needed to get things done. Thankfully, he wasn’t the only one. I make it a mission to surround myself with people who value the fun times, but support and encourage handling business. Even now, everybody that knows me takes the time to ask how my business is progressing and if I need any help in getting there. I don’t keep a lot of grasshoppers around! They may know how to let the good times roll, but when the sun stops shining they are more harm than good.

3) Let Some Pleasure In!

Know when to let loose!
Life is short; enjoy it!
When you have done all you can, take a break! Piggybacking off of suggestions 1 & 2, use the word NO when it comes to killing yourself over work. Also, make time for the people who support you. They are your biggest fans and will share in your success and your failures. Enjoy their company, take a trip, go shopping, eat a favorite dish with a glass of wine, go to the spa, do something spontaneous, let your tension go with a well needed activity of your choosing! Some people make the mistake of working non-stop and end up resenting their lives. It’s important to be serious and business oriented, but it’s also healthy and necessary to let loose and enjoy life!


In closing remember, balance is a direct relative to sacrifice. There are times that I use the dreaded word “NO” with people I love and situations I would love to be in. I also let them know why and they understand. When I’m satisfied with the work I have done, I take the time I need for me and don’t apologize for it! That my dear friends is the delicate art of separating business from pleasure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment