Sunday, August 15, 2010

Proud to Be A Pirate!

Today brought back so many memories!  After responding to a request for volunteers on Pirate Roundup for a college fair, I found myself reminiscing again.  The waterfront, Kelsey Hall, the Student Center, rusty bucket MLK, Queen Street, the Legion, the Caf, all the friends I made, working at the bookstore, getting through the hurricane in the gym :-), growing up, and graduating with a sense of pride from my Alma Mata, Hampton University...

I have reached a point three years after crossing the stage where I can say it was the best time of my life.  It brought me to the place I am today.  HU provided me with all the tools I needed to break down barriers and seize opportunities.  It filled me with pride today to see the new generation of potential students with the same anxiousness, promise, and fresh-faced wonder as I did seven years ago.  It also felt great to meet other alumni and talk with enthusiasm about how our lives turned out.  Once again, the influence of HU brings people closer.  Yes, there are problems and their always will be.  However I can't deny the positive effect attending this school has brought me. 

When I think of all the lessons I learned at Hampton, it empowers me to make every year as powerful as those four.  When I think of all the doors that opened at the mention of the name, I don't regret standing in long lines for clearance on my financial aid.  When I think of all the friends I made, I feel blessed to be connected to such talented and limitless people.  When I think of how much I grew with these components, it makes me proud to be a Pirate.  I doubt I would have received the same love, care, and maturity building life lessons if I didn't attend this prestigious school.  Hampton served as a catapult to jump-start the completion of my goals.  I will always be grateful for it's lessons.

My mom and I at my graduation! 5/13/07
Thinking back to freshman week and the camaraderie that was built, I hear this..."I love, I love, I love my QT6!"  That chant represented more than the largest freshman class this illustrious HBCU has ever seen.  It represents a chapter of my life that is filled with many fond and lasting memories.  Hampton will always be my Home By the Sea!  From my keyboard to your screen, I'm the original HamptonCutie204 signing out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment