Sunday, October 3, 2010

*Extra Post!* The One That Got Away...

Your girl is back with a vengeance and a topic we can all relate to! I've always said, “It’s hard to get treasure back when you throw it out with the trash.” Then I came across Monica’s song, “So Gone” and let this section slip in my spirit…

“It’s funny how the tables turn / Now it’s you running after me / Didn’t want to spend quality time / Didn’t think I would ever leave / You got way to comfortable / Now you say you want me in your life”…

…In some cases it’s a little too late for comebacks. After throwing away perfectly great people for reasons unknown, how can we return and expect them to forget AND forgive? Do we really think that highly of ourselves? We expect more than we give at times because we don’t realize how special some people are. Kindergarten lessons still relate to adulthood and we must treat people the way we want to be treated.

Life shouldn’t be spent hitting the easy button, but we have all resorted to the safer choice of protecting our own interest at some point. And honestly it’s much easier to think back on a mistake than think through an experience. I still find it baffling when I recall people I have left behind because they lacked one, maybe two things that weren’t that important to begin with. I know I’m not the lone ranger on that one!

We complain to family, friends, anyone who will listen about what we want in a relationship. Then God gingerly places that person in front of us in anticipation that we trust His decision. Unfortunately, the package doesn’t always appeal to us. There’s always an excuse. They’re too young, too old, too nice, too tall, too short, too playful, too serious…you get the picture. We all have our preferences, but some standards should be fixed while others should float. Blessings are not always understood at first glance, but they are blessings nonetheless. Whether we choose to appreciate them or deny them is up to us.

Maybe it’s just E, but I find it ironic that people use the phrase, “the one that got away” when in reality it’s “the one we let slip away”. After the break-up or brush off is usually when we start remembering all the great things we once overlooked. In our hasty actions, we can fail to realize the favorable characteristics a person displayed throughout our relationships. I’m honest enough with myself to admit that I have sabotaged a few epic relationships with my ridiculous hang-ups. I’m also honest enough to say I believed my greatness would keep him there while I was out discovering where I wanted to be. Comedy, right?!

The thing we must never forget in this fast and furious age is that people have feelings. We must also remember and acknowledge that feelings can change. If you find yourself on the fence over someone, why play with their heart? Take time to determine what’s important to you and free that person to discover the love they truly deserve. Keeping a person with potential on the backburner while you frolic in the faux greener grass can backfire. When you walk away long enough to let someone fill your space, don’t believe your incomparable swag will save your place. And with that said, I’m so gone until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment