Sunday, October 24, 2010

Makes E Wanna Holler!: The Complication in Being Classy...

Is there a such thing as being too "fancy"?  I ask because lately it seems that being a woman with goals, drive, looks and appeal is a little too much for the world.  Lately, I've been noticing that the less put together women seem to get it all.  Meanwhile the women who go out and get it for themselves are usually left with their possessions to keep them warm.  So, yesterday my little sister and I were out in NYC scouting name-brand handbags.  While in the Chanel store, I spotted a bag that was made for me.  I slipped it on my shoulder and marveled at the comfort and style.  I HAD TO HAVE IT!  Then I heard a lady behind me say..."If you get that bag, what is a man going to get you?"

I had a few problems with that question.  #1: What was she doing in the Chanel store if she felt that way?! (Probably hoping that a man would walk by and consider buying it for her!)  #2: Why am I working everyday and running a business only to be satisfied with the basics in life?  #3: If I wait for a man to buy me nice things, how long will I be waiting?! (A LONG time!)

Needless to say, I purchased that Chanel bag as an early b-day gift for myself and basked in the glow of my excitement.  However, my mind was on overdrive.  Is my love for being a girl and having the better things in life going to leave me lonely? 

I can't tell you how many times I have been called fancy, saddity, too classy, prissy, diva, etc.  It doesn't bother me because I love who I am.  I couldn't see myself just letting everything go when it comes to how I carry myself.  What DOES bother me is that I am in the purgatory of classiness!  Let's visit the Heaven and Hell so you can see what I mean...

As diva-esque as I may be, I'm not Carrie from Sex In The City!  I don't shop out of season, get the newest name-brand fashions, get invited to private designer sales or spend my rent money on a bag.  I'm not attached to a particular item or willing to kill for a red bottom heel!  I'm looking around my room and there is no walk in closet or built in shoe racks on every wall.  My face has never known the luxuriousness of M.A.C. nor do I saute elaborate meals in Williams Sonoma cookware. I would never register at a store that nobody could afford or throw a birthday bash in the far reaches of Egypt.  If I WAS in the Heaven of classiness, who in the world would I date?!  We all saw what happened to Carrie!


So if we took a deep descent into the Hell of classiness, I don't wear sweatpants outside of my house!  I won't be caught dead without my hair done, a face of natural looking make-up and a pair of earrings.  I don't believe in unkempt nails or toes.  I prefer heels over sneakers, Timberland boots or clogs.  I don't talk like I just left the Ebonics School for Commoners and you would never catch me in a fight.  I don't lower my standards when it comes to having what I deserve.  Even though I love to travel and shop, I believe in deals/coupons/sales and saving some money.  Now if I just gave up and ran outside looking haphazard, the men would probably flock!  It doesn't take much to impress a wildebeest with a woman's anatomy!  I refuse to leap backwards into Hell for love!    


Back to that woman's question, I think that a REAL man would appreciate my ability to take care of myself.  He would also be able to fill in the blanks with something a Chanel bag can't provide: love and support.  It's a shame that the world is inhabited with men who are intimidated by women that have their act together.  It's even worse that I have to pick my brain wondering if my best is "too good".  I'm compelled to believe that the right man will be strong and secure enough to handle me and my level of class.  I'm reviewing this purgatory thing and I'm pretty comfortable with the current version of Eboni!  I'm ME and everything about me is exactly the type of woman I want to share with the world.  Besides if I have to alter who I am for someone to appreciate me, I'm dealing with the wrong person anyway!

Epilogue: As my sister and I were walking down the street, I noticed a decent looking man who caught a glimpse at me and then at my Chanel shopping bag.  For a split second I considered returning the bag.  Maybe I should stick to my regular purses and tone it down a little.  Then I thought...NAH!  He wasn't that cute anyway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment